Paleo Wrap Option: Swiss Chard BLT
This of for those of you who like healthy tasting things. I’m not trying to sell this style of eating to those who have no desire or respect for it. Kind of maxed out with that right now. So. If you’ve clicked here, it’s becasue this looks damn tasty to you.
So first, I’d like to smugly congratulate you on having a developed palette. For being a human that is deeply connected to respecting the vessels that are but two which we are given in this life: your body. Your mind.
Plus … these include bacon. Those succulent strips of pure heaven make anything taste good so even if this image has you turning up towards the sky, g’won and give this a try. Maybe, just maybe, you’ll like it.
- 2 swiss chard leaves (1 if single serving)
- 4 strips of free from bacon (happy, nitrate free preferrably, 2 strips if single serving)
- 2 tsps paleo mayo - or - you could sub with my avo mayo and forgo putting avocados as a garnish!
- 2 slices of free from roasted turkey
- ½ cup sliced tomatoes ( I have a major thing for heirloom ones, you do what you wanna)
- ¼ each julienned carrots and cucumber (eye ball it, you just need a few long slices of each!)
- ½ an avocado sliced or cubed
- pinch of sea salt and fresh ground pepper for each
- Bacon baking tip: that's right, I said *baking*. On a parchment lined cookie sheet lay down strips of bacon and bake in the oven (preheated to 400 F). You don't even need to flip. No hot grease spattering, no curling. Bake for about 15 min., depending on how you like your bacon done. You can drain the fat after it's cooled down a bit, into a jar to use (sparingly) when scrambling eggs, making stews and soups, etc.
- Pretty straighforward wrap assemply here: wash the swiss chard and snip off the ends. Smear with mayo, prep your other ingredients and pile high. Sprinkle on top with a bit of sea salt and ground pepp.
- Swiss chard is incredibly sturdy even more so than bread wraps, so have no fear.
- Fold over about ¼ of an inch for the bottom and the top, so that nothing spills out and fold over each side, swaddling all that goodness inside.
- Slice down through the middle on and angle and enjoy!
If you’re on the 21 DF, one single serving of this would be: 1 red, 1/2 blue, 1 green, 1 tsp.